Friday, October 11, 2019

Ian McQue Inspired Flying Rig part 1

So while my Nostromo Airlock model continues to [slowly] progress, I needed a break from the exactness that model seems to be demanding from me - something a bit more spontaneous and loose in it's details. I've been wanting to do something in the style of concept illustrator Ian McQue for a while now and when I saw this sketch of his, one thing lead to another.  So against all better judgement, I now have 2 models in progress.



I cut a series of horizontal cross-sections from 0.030" (.75mm) styrene and used square profile Evergreen strips to set the vertical height.


I reinforced the junctions with some scrap Evergreen bits.


 I transplanted the entire top from a 1:35 TPz 1 Fuchs A4 Armoured personnel carrier
to quickly get some detail on the top deck. This will form a nice detail base to build on.


Then it was really just a matter of cladding the sides in styrene sheet. This model feels quite sturdy
and came together quickly over couple of  afternoons.




I also added a 4-40 threaded insert to help support the model for display, something I usually don't think about until it's too late.




More soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment