Saturday, October 26, 2019

Airship part 3

To make the bulbous rear section of the ship, I printed it in sections using grey polystyrene filament.


A 1/2" diameter cavity in all the sections allowed for an aluminum armature rod to register the parts together. The parts glued together very nicely using Tamiya cement. I was also very impressed with how easily the filament sanded.




Once everything was assembled and sanded smooth, I printed some oval rings and glued them around each recess. The transition between the ring and the recess was blended with some epoxy putty.

The rear of the ship in the drawing has some suggestion of mechanical detail and small fins. I built this from a selection of model kit parts. This was glued to a thin styrene disc so I could paint it separately.



The tank like object was turned from a piece of styrene rod and a small length of 1/4" Evergreen tube was used to register the parts.



I also continued to add detail to the front section of the ship. This part is a combination of machined styrene and kit parts.




To be continued...











No comments:

Post a Comment