Sunday, December 8, 2019

Nostromo Airlock part 5

Home from work with my car in the repair shop, I turned my attention to the floor grate. This one cost me 2D6 sanity points, but I'm really happy how it turned out. Rather than take the easy way out I decided to try and replicate the grate from Ron Cobbs drawing seen above.


To cut these to the same length with a 45 chamfer at each end, I modified an Xacto mitre box by adding a stop and a small clamp to hold the piece being cut.



Then it was a matter of cutting them with a razor saw and cleaning up any burrs. These were glued to a thin strip to make each 'rail' of the grate. 
I cut some grooves in a piece of MDF at the correct spacing and glued some styrene strips at either end. 


I continued this border completely around the rails.


Behind this, I glued a sheet of styrene with slots machined into it.


This was surrounded by a second outer frame built from thicker styrene. Here is the result:



All in all, I'm quite happy with the results. 












1 comment:

  1. For a look at what they used in the Alien movie (among many other sci fi classics) for floor gratings have a look at the link below.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/89573038@N04/sets

    ReplyDelete