Saturday, October 10, 2020

Ian McQue inspired Flying Rig part 5 [FINISHED]

 The front end of the craft was looking pretty barren. I thought it needed a bit of sci-fi tech to smarten it up. This is supposed to be some sort of infra red camera. It came together fairly quickly from a selection of kit parts. The lens is from a bag of polystyrene half domes sold as fake pearls. A bag of 500 in 8 different sizes (3-12mm) was only $4. Expect to see them encrusting everything I build going forward.



Some more bolt heads (Meng brand) were glued on the lower side. These things are really tiny. I typically lose a couple for every one that I manage to get attached.



Next up is the front stabilizer. Sheet styrene, more Meng bolts, and some kit parts.



I had wanted this to be removable (like the other stabilizers) for easier painting. however due to the weird angles and fragility of the parts, it wound up being easier t build it in place. (ie. it's glued on). Some really dubious mechanics going on there...don't look to close.



So after much trepidation, I started painting. I primed with a basecoat of red oxide automotive primer, then applied a couple of light coats of water based hairspray, right from the can. Over this was my base coat of a blue/ grey acrylic (Mission Model brand). As soon as I had cleaned my airbrush, I started the chipping process by light rubbing with a soft, damp brush. As the paint came away, I redistributed it in downward strokes forming what look like rain marks/streaks. 


Once this dried, I followed this with some weathering using the usual washes and filters with oils and enamels.


Here are some shots of the finished model:










No comments:

Post a Comment