Sunday, September 22, 2019

Vacuum Former




I found a Corning Electomatic Table Range (circa 1974) in working condition
at a local thrift store for $6 dollars. I had been planning to build a small self-contained
vacuum forming machine for a couple months prior, but was unsure what I would use as a heat
source. This thing heats to 500 F (260 C) and it heats very evenly across the glass/ceramic top.


A week or so later, I got this vacuum motor from Ebay. I housed it in a simple box built from 3/4 MDF. The Table Range was mounted above on an aluminum frame.



The platen was a square frame from MDF with a sheet of drilled aluminum bonded to the top.
A hinged frame was constructed from aluminum, to clamp the plastic sheet during heating. Some high temperature silicone gasket material ensures a good seal around the plastic. The frame is held just below the heater with some cabinet magnets. An on-off-on switch that is rated for high current, switches between the heater and the vacuum. The frame is designed to hold a 12" square of plastic (30.5cm). I have successfully formed plastic as thick as .0625" (1.6mm).








2 comments:

  1. Saw your vac former on instagram and was wondering what you were using as a heat source. Then I stumbled across this blog, question answered. Good to see another sci-fi scratchbuilding blog.
    mung aka rcscifi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mung. I'm fairly astonished that you found your way here. The blog has only been up a few hours.

    ReplyDelete